Tuesday, May 1, 2018

frenchy

3/4 Brandy (1 3/4 oz Courvoisier VS Cognac)
2 dash Sherry (3/4 oz Lustau Amontillado)
1 dash Parfait L'Amour (1/4 oz Marie Brizard)
1 dash Picon (1/4 oz Torani Amer)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist.
Two Tuesdays ago, my desire for a nightcap led me to Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933. There, I spotted the Frenchy that called for Parfait Amour -- a confectionary spirit of citrus, floral, and vanilla notes that has lingered on my shelf for the last decade. I have used it in random drinks like Don the Beachcomber's Royal Daiquiri and one of the Savoy Cocktail Book's Trilby cocktails. Since, the Frenchy which paired the liqueur with Amer Picon and sherry seemed like it could make for an elegant brandy drink, it was time to dust off this bottle again. Once prepared, the Frenchy proffered orange, vanilla, and floral aromas to the nose. Next, a dry grape and citrus sip gave way to Cognac, nutty sherry, dark orange, violet, and vanilla flavors on the swallow.

No comments: