Saturday, March 3, 2018

peking

1 tsp Grenadine (1/2 oz)
1 dash Pernod or Herbsaint (1/2 bsp Herbsaint)
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1 1/2 oz Puerto Rican Rum (2 oz Don Q Añejo)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added a lemon wheel as garnish.
After work two Saturdays ago, I was in the mood for something tropical, so I sought out a Trader Vic book. The one from my collection that I found first was Trader Vic's 1981 Book of Food & Drink, and there I stumbled upon the Peking. The name reminded me of the Mighty Peking Man, but it was a simple Rum Daisy with Herbsaint instead of a gin drink. I decided to give it ago after having read in Alice Lascelles' Ten Cocktails about how both Herbsaint and absinthe pair really well with red fruit notes including pomegranate similar to what I saw in the Pan American Clipper. In the glass, the Peking proffered a lemon and anise bouquet to the nose. Next, lemon and berry on the sip slid into aged rum and red fruit on the swallow with an anise-driven Herbsaint finish.

No comments: