Monday, September 4, 2017

the french pearl

2 oz Plymouth Gin (Beefeater)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz Simple Syrup
1/4 oz Pernod Absinthe
1 sprig Mint

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added a mint leaf garnish.

Two Mondays ago, I reached for the Tales of the Cocktail 2009 Stir Your Soul Recipe Book to see if there were any old recipes that I had neglected to make. One that stood out was the French Pearl that was featured at that Tales of the Cocktail's Bartender's Breakfast event. The recipe was crafted by Audrey Saunders and Kenta Goto at the Pegu Club and the combination reminded me of a South Side with absinthe. Moreover, the name has always reminded me of the Pearl White that has Lillet instead of absinthe (and lemon instead of lime); one of my bar regulars commented that he was only able to find the Pearl White recipe on my blog (where it was served at Green Street). I later discovered that it is printed in the 2012 Mr. Boston: 75th Anniversary Edition cocktail book but without attribution, so it is a mystery of Audrey and Kenta had a hand in that recipe as well.
The French Pearl began with a mint aroma with hints of anise. Next, a lime sip showed off a few herbal notes, and the swallow offered gin and mint leading smoothly into an absinthe finish.

No comments: