Sunday, April 30, 2017

island of martinique cocktail

1 1/2 oz Gold Rhum Agricole (Depaz)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Falernum (Velvet)
1/4 oz Don's Honey (2:1) (1/3 oz Honey 1:1 Syrup)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Blend with 3 oz crushed ice for 5 seconds (shake with ice) and strain into a cocktail glass.

After rounding out my work week two Sundays ago, I selected Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean for my evening's escape. There, I was lured in by the Island of Martinique Cocktail that was Donn Beach's "tikified 'Ti Punch" from 1948 that he described as, "Lusty Martinique rums aged in casks for 120 moons. Subtly combined with falernum, wild honey, Angostura Bitters, and Maui mountain limes." Overall, the combination reminded me of Eastern Standard's Chappaquiddick with different rum and bitters choices. Lacking a rhum agricole aged for 10 years as per the poetic description, I used a younger one from Depaz. And my store was out of Hawaiian citrus, so I just utilized regular Persian limes.
The Island of Martinique Cocktail was similar to the Regal Amburana the night before minus the grapefruit notes but with the addition of spice. Here, the drink began with a grassy and honey-floral bouquet. Next, honey and lime mixed on the sip, and the swallow complemented funky rum notes with ginger, clove, and allspice flavors.

No comments: