Friday, April 21, 2017

douglas fairbanks

2/3 Gin (2 oz Beefeater)
1/3 Apricot Brandy (1/2 oz Rothman & Winter Apricot Liqueur + 1/4 oz Simple Syrup)
Juice 1 Lime (1/2 oz)
1 Egg White

Shake once without ice and once with ice, and strain into a cocktail glass; I added drops of Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters as garnish.

After work two Fridays ago, I summoned Ted Saucier's Bottoms Up for the evening's nightcap refreshment. There, I spotted the Douglas Fairbanks recipe that was provided by Sloppy Joe's Bar in Havana, and the combination reminded me of an egg white for Peychaud's Bitters riff on a Pendennis Club Cocktail. Since Andrea was still up, I decided to split this one in two.
The Douglas Fairbanks presented apricot aromas that were accented by cinnamon and clove spice from the bitters garnish I added. Next, a creamy lime sip led into gin and apricot on the swallow. Definitely a bit less complex than the Pendennis Club given the egg's smoothing and the lack of Peychaud's Bitters' complexity, but it was still rather enjoyable as a Egg White Sour.

No comments: