Saturday, March 4, 2017

red riding hood

2/3 jigger Sherry (2 1/4 oz Lustau Amontillado)
1/3 Grenadine (3/4 oz)
1 dash Angostura Bitters (2 dash)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
After my bar shift two Saturdays ago, I reached for Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933. Instead of the stiff drink that I probably needed to unwind, I was lured in by the Red Riding Hood in the wine section that appeared like a Sherry Old Fashioned with the sweetener being grenadine instead of sugar syrup. For a sherry, I opted for a dry Amontillado to counter the grenadine's sweetness. In the glass, the Red Riding Hood was indeed red or at least a tawny red and gave forth nutty sherry aromas softened by pomegranate's berry notes. Next, the grape and pomegranate danced together on the sip, and the swallow began with nutty sherry flavors and ended with Angostura's wintry spice brightened by fruit notes on the finish.

No comments: