Sunday, March 5, 2017

provocateur

1 1/2 oz Rhum Barbancourt 8 Year
3/4 oz Blandy's 5 Year Sercial Madeira
3/4 oz Benedictine
1 dash Bittermens Molé Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a (button-shaped) orange twist.
For the tail end of Rhum Barbancourt week for drink of the day at Loyal Nine, I wanted to do a rum and Madeira cocktail, so I began thinking about the Madeira recipes that I have had recently. One that stood out was Thomas Waugh's Scotch-based Prospector that sweetened the mix with Benedictine. Besides swapping the base for Haitian rum, I also change the bitters first to Peychaud's Bitters; after test driving the recipe for the servers, Erica recommended that I try mole bitters and the results were perfect. I also offered up a few 'p' drink names to play off of the Prospector and the resounding winner was the Provocateur. To complement that, I added a floated button-shaped twist to the mix.

No comments: