Sunday, March 26, 2017

paddlin' madeline home

1 jigger Applejack (1 1/2 oz Boulard VSOP Calvados)
1 tsp Grenadine (3/8 oz)
1 tsp Triple Sec (3/8 oz Cointreau)
Juice 1/4 Lemon (3/4 oz)
1 Egg White

Shake once without ice and once with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a thin slice of lemon (lemon twist).

Two Sundays ago, I selected Ted Saucier's Bottoms Up for my evening's refreshment. The recipe I chose from there was Paddlin' Madeline Home by William Glaxton, a vaudeville, film, and theater celebrity and president of the Lambs social club in New York City. Like his Of Thee I Sing, Baby, the drink name has a theatrical aspect with Paddlin' Madeline Home being a fox-trot from the 1925 musical comedy "Sunny." Overall, it reminded me on paper of a Jack Rose and an Apple Sidecar meeting a Pink Lady, so I was game to give it a try.
The Paddlin' Madeline Home proffered lemon oil and apple aromas to the nose. Next, a creamy lemon and orange sip gave way to apple and pomegranate's berry on the swallow.

No comments: