Thursday, March 23, 2017

one, one, one

1 oz Krogstad Aquavit
1 oz Beefeater Gin
1 oz Dolin Blanc Vermouth
1 dash Regan's Orange Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.
After my work shift two Thursdays ago, I selected the Death & Co. Cocktail Book for something to treat myself at my home bar. Thomas Waugh's One, One, One from 2009 seemed like a Martini riff that might make the evening's worries slip away; the drink was a play on Audrey Saunders Fitty-Fitty Martini at Pegu Club with a third component of aquavit added in. Also, it is very close to my 2:1 Martini spec with the gin split with another botanical-driven spirit (except that I use dry vermouth instead of blanc). Once in the coupe, the One, One, One gave forth a caraway and star anise bouquet to the nose. Next, a semi-sweet white wine sip gave way to juniper, caraway, star anise, and floral on the swallow. With blanc vermouth, the end result was not as stark as a classic Martini.

No comments: