Wednesday, March 15, 2017

i, said the sparrow

1/6 Dry Gin (1/2 oz Beefeater)
1/6 Kirsch (1/2 oz Trimbach)
2/3 Dry Vermouth (2 oz La Quintinye)
4 dash Syrup (1/4 oz Cane Sugar Syrup)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

For a drink two Wednesdays ago, I reached for Crosby Gaige's 1941 Cocktail Guide & Ladies' Companion for inspiration. There, I spotted the curiously named I, Said the Sparrow that appeared as an aperitif-like inverse Martini with the gin split with cherry eau de vie. Moreover, the recipe reminded me of the Nineteen without the absinthe, and perhaps the Nineteen Twenty with the gin and dry vermouth volumes swapped, the syrup switched to groseille, and the balance shifted with orange bitters.
The I, Said the Sparrow began with a floral and dry cherry aroma. Next, the sip was rather clean with perhaps soft white grape notes, and the swallow offered honey-floral, pine, and cherry flavors.

1 comment:

Robbo said...

I enjoyed this. Rob I