Thursday, March 9, 2017

chinese cocktail

1 half glass Jamaican Rum (2 1/4 oz Coruba)
3 dash Maraschino (1/4 oz Luxardo)
3 dash Curaçao (1/4 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry)
3 dash Grenadine (1/4 oz)
1-2 dash Angostura Bitters (2 dash)

Stir with ice, strain into a glass, and garnish with a cherry (omit) and lemon oil from a twist.
After my bar shift two Thursdays ago, I reached for the 1935 Old Waldorf-Astoria Bar Book and began flipping through the pages until I landed in their Jamaican Jollifier Amendments section. There, I was lured in by the Chinese Cocktail which appeared like a satisfying Rum Old Fashioned. It seemed familiar but I could not find a reference for it on the blog, so I went ahead with it. Later, I realized that it was similar to Trader Vic's 1946 Canton with the addition of curaçao. Once prepared, the Chinese Cocktail gifted lemon, funky rum, and floral orange-pomegranate aromas. Next, caramel notes on the sip were joined by more fruity ones from the Maraschino's cherry, and finally, the swallow presented funky rum, nutty cherry, and orange flavors with a spice-driven finish.

No comments: