Saturday, March 11, 2017

chauncey olcott

3/4 Bush Mills Irish Whiskey (2 oz Teeling Small Batch)
2 dash Sherry (1/2 oz Lustau Oloroso)
2 dash Sweet Vermouth (1/2 oz Alessio)
1 dash Boker's or Angostura Bitters (2 dash Angostura)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After my bar shift two Saturdays ago, I reached for my copy of Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 for some spirituous refreshment. In the European whiskey section, I spotted an Irish whiskey Manhattan that included sherry in with the sweet vermouth. That recipe was called the Chauncey Olcott, and I was lured in when I learned that Chauncey was an American stage actor and songwriter of Irish descent who lived from 1858-1932. While he was later inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, having a drink named after you is an awesome way to cap off a life and a career.
The Chauncey Olcott had Irish eyes smiling when it greeted the senses with soft malt aromas coupled with grape from the vermouth and sherry. Next, the grape continued on into the sip where it was followed by whiskey, nutty, and bitter herbal notes on the swallow.

No comments: