Sunday, March 6, 2016

joy division

2 oz Beefeater Gin
1 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/2 oz Cointreau
3 dash Vieux Pontarlier Absinthe (1/8 oz Butterfly)

Stir with ice, strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.

A few Fridays ago after my work shift, I was in great need of a nightcap. This quest led my hand to pull out the Death & Co. Cocktail Book where I found Phil Ward's 2008 Joy Division. Indeed, I was drawn in by the name for Joy Division is one of my favorite bands and by the fact that the recipe reminded me of Robert Hess' Black Feather. The Black Feather was created in 2000 and was the most popular drink at our home's 2008 International Migratory Bird Day event featuring 20 bird-themed cocktails. The two major differences between the drinks are that the Black Feather is brandy based and the herbal element is aromatic bitters instead of absinthe -- all with the same 4:2:1 ratio.
The Joy Division began with lemon, orange, and pine aromas. Next, the drink played a dry white wine sip with a hint of orange that was followed by a juniper, orange, and anise swallow.

No comments: