Monday, February 15, 2016

parisian

2/3 Cognac (1 1/2 oz Camus VS)
1 dash Dry Vermouth (1 oz Noilly Prat)
2 dash Crème de Noyaux (1/4 oz Tempus Fugit)
1 dash Maraquin (1/4 oz Luxardo Maraschino)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Tuesdays ago, I was browsing Pioneers of Mixing in Elite Bars: 1903-1933 when I spotted the Parisian, a brandy drink that reminded me of a Brooklyn in structure. Instead of Amer Picon, the Parisian utilized the nutty crème de noyaux. That ingredient is something that is very French to me for it is featured heavily in the French cocktail book Bariana -- a drink book that sent me on a journey to find artisanal noyaux after buying the book and attending a talk at Tales of the Cocktail in 2010 on the past and present Paris cocktail scene. Five years later, I was finally able to purchase Tempus Fugit's rather authentic version.
The Parisian began with a brandy aroma with nutty undertones. Next, the sip was rather light with some barrel age, white wine, and cherry notes in the mix, and the swallow offered the Cognac with a nutty-fruity combination of noyaux and Maraschino.

No comments: