Tuesday, January 5, 2016

argentina

1/3 jigger Gin (1 oz Hayman's Royal Dock)
1/3 jigger Dry Vermouth (1 oz Noilly Prat)
1 spoon Cointreau (1/3 oz)
1 spoon Benedictine (1/3 oz)
1 spoon Orange Juice (1/3 oz)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)
2 drop Bitters (1 dash Jerry Thomas Decanter)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added an orange twist.

After getting home from Audubon, I treated myself to a nightcap. For inspiration, I opened Boothby's 1934 World Drinks and How to Mix Them and spotted the Argentina. The combination of ingredients reminded me of a Satan's Whiskers perhaps crossed with aspects of the Tango #2.
In the glass, the Argentina proffered orange aromas from the twist oils and the juice. Next, a crisp orange sip with hints of white wine gave way to juniper, orange peel, herbal, and spice elements on the swallow. Overall, the drink was definitely a step up from a Bronx given the richer orange flavors as well as the spiced and herbal components.

No comments: