Monday, October 5, 2015

island hop

1 oz Dark Rum (Denizen Merchant's Reserve)
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Giffard Banane du Brasil
1/2 oz Solera Sherry (Lustau East India)
1/4 oz Orgeat (BG Reynolds)
3 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Fill with crushed ice and garnish with mint sprigs.

Two Fridays ago after my shift at Loyal Nine, I turned to a recipe that Josh Suchan of Hollywood's Los Balcones and Chavela posted on Instagram called the Island Hop. He had posted a photo of the drink over the summer, and I was intrigued so I requested the recipe. He replied that he would once it came off the menu, and he was true to his word.
The Island Hop as I garnished it contributed mint and floral aromas. A dry lime sip shared darker caramel and grape notes, and the swallow presented the funky rums blending into banana flavors with a bitter finish.

No comments: