Friday, February 15, 2013

up to date

1/2 Sherry Wine (1 1/4 oz Lustau Dry Oloroso)
1/2 Rye Whiskey (1 1/4 oz Rittenhouse 100)
2 dash Grand Marnier (1/2 oz)
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After the Tiger Lily two Friday's ago, I opened up my reprint of Hugo Ensslin's 1916 Recipes for Mixed Drinks and found the Up to Date. I remembered spotting the drink in the PDT Cocktail Book before, and they opted for a manzanilla sherry, different proportions than I used, and added a lemon twist. Perhaps the lemon twist would be a great addition, but I think that my choosing a darker sherry worked better with the rye for my tastes. In retrospect, perhaps Lustau's East India Solera sherry would have been a good selection too albeit in a less funky, nutty, and old school feeling way.
hug ensslin recipes for mixed drinks up to date cocktail
The sherry in the Up to Date dominated the nose, and this worked with the Grand Marnier to almost come off with a hint of Maraschino from the oloroso's nuttiness and the Grand Marnier's fruit. A dry grape and malt sip was followed by the rye whiskey and the nutty sherry on the swallow. Finally, the drink ended with a spiced orange finish.

No comments: