Friday, August 17, 2012

what you talkin' 'bout willis?

1 1/2 oz Bully Boy White Whiskey
3/4 oz Lillet Blanc
3/4 oz Aperol

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Garnish with an orange twist.

So while Scott Marshall was in no shape for me to say my proper goodbyes on Sunday before he left for Savannah, Georgia, he invited people in advance to meet up at Silvertone the next day. When I got to Silvertone, I approached the bar and spoke to Josh Childs about the new drinks on his menu. The one that called out to me was one he wrote on Boston.com in his article about visiting the Bully Boy Distillery here in Boston. When I inquired about the name, he explained that the distillery was founded by a pair of brothers, Dave and Will Willis, and he wondered why there had not been a drink named "What You Talkin' 'Bout Willis?" after the famous line from the Diff'rent Strokes television series. Therefore, he created this tribute to the brothers using their white whiskey. While I am not generally a big fan of white whiskey genre, I do have to say that I was impressed with their spirit's grain complexity from the wheat that they use and the smoothness from the distillation; apparently their aged spirits are coming along and should be on the market in the next year or two.
On the nose, the orange twist complemented the Aperol's aroma, and these two fruitier elements surrounded the whiskey's maltiness. On the tongue, the citrussy sip led into a bitter rhubarb swallow that had been dried out by the whiskey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to find a recipe calling for white dog here. The malty richness of the whiskey really shines through, but without the fire of the straight spirit.

The ingredients remind me of the Old Pal cocktail, though that drink uses closer to 1:1:1. I wonder if the WYTBW would still be interesting at the ratio...

frederic said...

The 1:1:1 ratio would work but it would make the more subtle spirit less noticeable in the drink.

And I believe the Unusual Negroni (a Hendrick's drink) calls for Aperol instead of Campari, so yes.