Thursday, July 14, 2011

millerista

1 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz Apricot Liqueur (Rothman & Winter)
3/4 oz Triple Sec (Cointreau)

Shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Top with 4 oz Miller High Life.

During the Mixology Monday beer wrap-up post, I mentioned that I, too, had created a beer cocktail during Mixoloseum's Thursday Drink Night. As a take on the Periodista, or more specifically how most of Boston has embraced the Periodista recipe, I decided to substitute the rum for the Miller High Life that I had bought for the Milwaukee Monk and Coney Island Strongman. Initially, I made it as a light-hearted joke akin to the Pegu Clubweiser using Bud Light Lime, but both Andrea and I agreed that it was actually pretty good. Sadly, as a result of my wrong intuition, I did not take a photo of it.

The best flavor combination of this drink was how well the apricot liqueur paired with the beer. I guess this should not have been a surprise having tasted apricot brews such as Ithaca's delicious Apricot Wheat Beer. Second, the Miller and the lime worked just as well here as it did in the Milwaukee Monk by donating a great cleansing tang to the drink. The orange liqueur, while not incredibly notable here, seemed to fit right in. At first my proportions were equal parts for the citrus and liqueurs; however, it was a bit too sweet so I upped the citrus juice a tad. Andrea commented that she could seriously see drinking several of these.
For a name, I called it a Millerista as a blending of the beer brand with the cocktail inspiration. What I thought was a made up word turned out to be the name of the religious followers of William Miller in the early half of the 19th century. Around 1831, Miller's Bible studies led him to believe that the world would end "about the year 1843" as Jesus would return for the Second Coming. His numerous disciples, perhaps one hundred thousand in total, sold all of their belongings and took to the mountains to await the end. When they saw 1843 come and go, it was then declared that the actual date was October 22, 1844. His fanatical followers prepared again for the event with their ascension robes, but alas, no dice. The Miller movement sort of fizzled without even a third strike, and it eventually morphed into the Seventh-day Adventists. So the next time a religious group claims that the world will end or perhaps in 2012 when the Mayan calendar stops, remember to mix up a Millerista and toast the imminent non-demise.

No comments: