Wednesday, May 11, 2011

pink poodle

2 oz Beija Cachaça
1 1/2 oz Grenadine
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 Egg White

Dry shake without ice and then shake with ice. Strain into a rocks glass partially filled with fresh ice, and add straws and a cherry.

Two Mondays ago, Andrea and I traveled down to the Southend to eat at Estragon. Since their bartender was out sick, after dinner, we wandered over to Toro for drinks and dessert. We were lucky that bartender Andy McNees was working that night for I had not sat at his bar in quite a while. Andy was a part of our early memories of Eastern Standard and our middle memories of Green Street, but any time I passed by Toro, it was either too crowded or Andy was not working that night. Alas, late Monday night was a sweet spot and soon two seats opened up at the bar.
For a drink, I picked the Pink Poodle off of the menu. The drink called out to me for it reminded me of a cachaça version of the Pink Lady. Moreover, it seemed right to have Andy serve it for he was there when I had my first Clover Club which is a similar pink egg white-laden cocktail. Here, the cachaça contributed greatly to the Pink Poodle's aroma along with a fruit notes from the grenadine and citrus. Moreover, the spirit donated a grassiness to the sweet and citrussy sip and a funkiness on the swallow. Indeed, these extra notes in the cachaça made the Pink Poodle rather interesting to drink even after the egg white smoothed out the flavors. The only change I would make would be to reduce the grenadine down to an ounce for the drink was a tad on the sweet side for me.

No comments: