Tuesday, April 19, 2011

[rhube goldberg]

1 1/2 oz Douglas XO Blended Scotch Whisky
3/4 oz La Gitana Manzanilla Sherry
1/2 oz Cocchi Americano
1/2 oz Rhubarb Syrup (see here for a recipe)
2 dash Celery Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass pre-rinsed with Laphroaig Scotch.

Last Tuesday, one of my college friends was in town and wanted to get cocktails, so I took her to Drink. There, we found seats at the ice bar where Joe Staropoli was busy chipping away and crafting drinks. For my first libation, Joe mentioned that he had made a drink with rhubarb syrup earlier in the week. I was intrigued for I enjoyed Ciaran Wiese's Old New York Sour that we made at home and the Last Word variation, the Final Rhuse, that I created with this syrup. Thus, I gave the drink idea the thumbs up.
The Laphroaig rinse paid dividends to the aroma where it added a funky and smokey note. The sip was a bit drier than I expected and the rhubarb paired well with the Cocchi Americano's citrus notes. Following this were the Scotch and sherry flavors on the swallow along with a hint of celery at the end. Of all the combinations, I felt that the Manzanilla, a lighter sherry style, complemented the rhubarb syrup the best.

No comments: