Monday, April 4, 2011

revision cocktail

1 1/2 oz Lustau Amontillado Sherry
1 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth
1/2 oz Combier Triple Sec
2 dash Bittermens Grapefruit Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

Last Monday, Andrea and I stopped into the Citizen Public House outside of Kenmore Square after my DJ gig. There, I was drawn to the Revision Cocktail for its sherry content and lighter style intrigued me. The drink reminded me of an orange liqueur-laden Bamboo or Amour Cocktail, and given the name, I figured that it could be a similar variation on the Reform Cocktail. When I asked bartender Corey Bunnewith about the name, he described how bar manager Joy Richard was trying to come up with a sherry aperitif drink for the Citizen's menu. Revision after revision, she eventually found one that worked for her.
The Revision Cocktail started with a lemon oil and Amontillado sherry aroma. The triple sec's flavor dominated the sip and was followed by the dry vermouth notes and the sherry's nuttiness on the swallow. As the drink warmed up, the sip became reminiscent of a dry orange Lifesaver candy, a sort of caramel orange flavor. Overall, the Revision Cocktail was really light and made a good aperitif like the Bamboo albeit a touch on the sweeter side.

No comments: