Wednesday, April 20, 2011

jamaican bobsled flip

3/4 oz Smith & Cross Rum
3/4 oz Wray & Nephew Rum
1/2 oz Creme de Cacao (brown)
1/2 oz St. Elizabeth's Pimento Dram
1/2 oz Ginger Syrup
2 dash Mole Bitters
1 Egg (*)

Shake once without ice and once with ice. Double strain into a Tiki mug filled with crushed ice. Top with extra crushed ice, add a straw, and garnish with Fee's Whiskey Barrel Bitters.
(*) Note: the original drink, the Jamaican Bobsled, lacks an egg. To make this, omit the egg, dry shake, and fine straining step.

For my second drink two Tuesdays ago at Drink, I asked bartender Joe Staropoli for an egg or egg white drink. One of his drink ideas caught my attention -- it was the Flip form of a drink I had heard mention of on Facebook or Twitter called the Jamaican Bobsled. With a pair of Jamaican rums joined by chocolate and spice notes, it sounded delicious, but I queried if I should have it the original way instead. Joe convinced me that I ought to try it as a Flip to fulfill with my initial urge.
The Jamaican Bobsled Flip greeted my nose with a cinnamon aroma from the bitters. The flavor contained a tasty combination of chocolate, allspice, and ginger that was chased by ardent rums on the swallow. Even with the egg to tame the spirit and spice flavors, the drink was still very intense. However, as the crushed ice melted over time, the drink mellowed out considerably.

No comments: