Wednesday, April 6, 2011

[campari swizzle]

2 oz Barbancourt Rum
1/2 oz Campari
1/2 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz Demerara Syrup
1 dash Bittermens Tiki Bitters

Add ingredients to a tall glass, fill with ice, and swizzle until cold. Garnish with a mint sprig, a lime wedge, a cherry, and a straw.

On Friday night, Andrea and I went to Lineage in Brookline for dinner. For my first drink, bartender Ryan Lotz mentioned that he had been tinkering with two different Swizzle ideas; while the first was more of a traditional rum one, the second caught my attention for its Campari content. Although I have heard of Campari-laden Swizzles such as Giuseppe Gonzalez's Negroni Swizzle and Tiare's Bird Swizzle, I have not experienced one myself, so I gave Ryan the go ahead. Here, the mint sprig garnish's aroma overwhelmed that of the Campari, rum, and other ingredients. Flavorwise, the sip contained the lime with hints of the Campari poking through; next, the Campari showed its full potential on the swallow along with the rum. For what starts somewhat sharply on the sip ended rather smoothly on the swallow perhaps due to the Barbancourt Rum.

1 comment:

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.