Monday, April 25, 2011

bohemian

1 oz Beefeater Gin
1 oz St. Germain
1 oz Pink Grapefruit Juice
1 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Sundays ago, Andrea and I stopped in at Green Street for dessert and cocktails. For my first drink, I asked bartender Derric Crothers for the Bohemian. The drink was created there back around 2008 by then bar manager Misty Kalkofen; while I believe that Andrea had ordered one there shortly after it appeared on the menu, I realized that I had never had one myself. I figured that the drink could do no wrong for St. Germain and grapefruit juice make excellent partners such as in the Sam Treadway's Agony and Ecstasy and Emma Hollander's One-Armed French Hooker.
The pink grapefruit dominated the aroma of this drink and contributed to the sip along with some of the St. Germain's floral notes. The bulk of the St. Germain liqueur, however, arrived on the swallow and was chased by the gin and Peychaud's Bitters' crispness at the end. The pink grapefruit made for a softer, sweeter drink than yellow grapefruit probably would have, but I could see it working equally as well in the recipe.

No comments: