Friday, July 24, 2009

white lily

1 oz London Dry Gin
1 oz Cointreau
1 oz White Rum
1 dash Absinthe

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
The last cocktail I had at the Grande Soirée d'Absinthe was the White Lily, which is the last drink I will write about for Tales of the Cocktail 2009 (*). The recipe I provided was the one on the Wormwood Society's webpage which cites the Savoy Cocktail Book (1930) as the source. CocktailDB offers an alternative recipe of 3/4 oz for the first three ingredients with a more aggressive (and definitive measurement) 1/4 oz of absinthe. Given that the hosts of the event were from the Society, I went with the Savoy recipe for this entry. In the drink, the Cointreau's sweetness balanced the botanicals in the gin and absinthe rather well. Overall, the White Lily was rather pleasant and would make for a good introduction to absinthe cocktails.

(*) Not sure whether I am impressed that I made 24 posts about Tales or that I was able to trim my notes down to a mere 24 entries.

No comments: